LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 103 Forum WEEK 7 – Mark

WEEK 7 – Mark

Tagged: 

Back to course
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Wendy Avila
    Participant

My mistake on concluding Mark as a disciple of a disciple.

Kimberly Valverde
    Participant

Mark is the second of the four gospels. The book of Mark records the life of Jesus as a servant, or in other words, his time in ministry here on earth. Mark wrote mainly to the Romans and his style of writing seems to be quick and direct compared to Matthew’s writing. The central message of Mark is, “The Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life as a ransom for many.” The book of Mark talks about the sanctification of Jesus, his services, his sacrifice, and his resurrection. Mark lets us know that Jesus is the ascended Lord, the Servant highly exalted, working in us and through us.

Tammy Ahumada
    Participant

I love the New Testament! Mark is the second book of the New Testament and it’s almost like a summary of what we read in Matthew. which explains why it’s the shortest of the 4 gospels. The book of Mark does not disclose the author but many are in agreement that it’s one of Peter’s friends John Mark. Mark skips the whole genealogy of Jesus and starts right out with his Baptism in the Jordan. The leading and temping of Jesus is the desert is cut down to a couple verses as opposed to what we got in the book of Matthew. The book continues with Jesus choosing his disciples and going on about with his teaching. This book since it is shorter seems to move much faster and is filled with much action.

Mario Ahumada
    Participant

Mark, the second of the four gospels and to me this one seems much more fast paced. It’s like an action flick at the movies, filled with a lot of action. And because it’s the shortest book it seems to cut out a lot of stories that the other gospels go into detail about. Mark has a lot of the parables that Jesus told to his disciples that helped make what he was explaining so easy to understand.

Valente Valenzuela
    Participant

Mark, a writer, disciple of Peter, and assistant to Paul.

The book of Mark is one of three Synoptic Gospels. He writes mostly to the gentile converts of that time. He explains to them and Jews alike that Jesus came not to be served but to be a servant (Jehovah’s Servant) onto us.

Also, we read how He raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, restored deformed limbs, made lame people walk, cast out demons, healed incurable skin diseases, and quieted stormy waters. The Gospel of Mark encourages us to continue trusting and being a servant on to GOD, especially when life gets difficult. Although one of the shortest of the Gospel, it records the most miracles than any of the others.

In conclusion, Mark proves that Jesus Christ is a powerful Savior and is more than able to help suffering people like you and me.

Michael Trevino
    Participant

In the book of Mark there are many passages of scripture to speak of Jesus as exalted Lord  but Marks gospel presents  another side of Jesus as well his servant hood. Mark was not one of the 12 disciples but it is traditionally believe that his gospel was compiled from the sermons of the apostle  Peter. Mark set the pace for his gospel from the very start foregoing the details of Jesus‘s birth and moving straight into his baptism and ministry. Throughout this gospel of Jesus is constantly on the move Healing  sick confronting demons feeding large crowds giving time to outsiders and tirelessly responding to request for help in guidance. Mark includes several passages of teaching as well but these are largely overshadowed by the counts of Jesus‘s actions. Mark made it clear that Jesus is indeed the son of God no one else could could have done what Jesus did. For even the son of man came not to be served but to serve others and to give us life as a ransom for many. The book closes with Jesus‘s death and resurrection completing a basic outline of the life of Jesus Christ. AMEN

Brigitte Willis
    Participant

Mark showed the life of Jesus as a servant through the eyes of Peter. I believe he was a disciple of Peter. He writes events in rapid fire succession. His books are full of the highlights of miracles and some of the teachings of Jesus, but from the lens of Jesus being a servant. Since he was writing for the Romans, I’m guessing the Romans weren’t looking for a “king”, but were attracted to Jesus’ heart to not be served, but to serve. Mark reminds us that we are called to do the same, but reassures us that Jesus will the one working through us.

Troy Percy
    Participant

The book of Mark is the second Gospel which is the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. The book of Mark starts off with the preaching of John the Baptist, him meeting and baptizing Jesus. The start of Jesus ministry, how He gathered up His disciples; he talks about Jesus’ signs and miracles and how he healed people from all different types of things such as being paralyzed, blind, deaf, or even casting out evil spirits.. etc. it also goes into all of the opposition that Jesus fealty with from the religious leaders in His day by being accused of being a false prophet to being accused of blasphemy and how He overcame each and every situation, and how He was betrayed by His own disciple and the Jewish people He was there to save into His death and resurrection. Finally into Jesus commissioning His disciples and starting the church.

Roberta Tyler
    Participant

Roberta Tyler   10/19/2021
    <p class=”MsoNormal”><b><span style=”font-size: 10.0pt; line-height: 107%;”>LEADERSHIP 103 – LESSON 7 – WEEK 7 – HOMEWORK</span></b></p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”><b><span style=”font-size: 10.0pt; line-height: 107%;”>THE BOOK OF MARK</span></b></p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-size: 10.0pt; line-height: 107%;”>Mark is the shortest Book of the 4 Gospels. I found the Book of Mark to be unique in that John Mark, was not an apostle, but a follower and student of Peter. And unlike the other Gospels, Mark did not spend any time writing about Jesus’ birth, genealogy, or Jesus’ early ministry of Judea. Mark’s Gospel was clearly more for Romans, the Gentiles, than the Jews. While Mark spoke about Jesus being the “Son of Man” he focused his attention on writing about Jesus’ servanthood and sufferings throughout his ministry, than of His being the Messiah. He chooses instead to recount these two aspects of Jesus character; and proclaimed his “Good News” in a way that directs readers to the hope and understanding that is available in Jesus Christ during their sufferings, (Mark 8:31-34; 9:31; 10:32-45). I noticed that Mark was also more detailed and graphic in his accounts of Jesus’ time in ministry amongst the people of Judea and Galilee, (Mark, Chapter 1 to 9:50). The Book of Mark made me think more about the “Passion of Christ” and, also in a different aspect. Where once I thought of this term in a remorseful way, I now think of it as a way of strength during times of great trials. Seeing Christ through the lens of Mark’s Gospel helped me understand a deeper meaning of the “Good News” of the Gospels of Christ.</span></p>

Kathy Vara
    Participant

Mark 3:25 Similarly, a family splintered by feuding will fall apart.

Jesus spoke these words in Mark. The word splintered means to break apart into smaller pieces. The word feuding refers to an extended amount of conflict or allowing it to continue.
    Jesus is our teacher. In this scripture Jesus is teaching us that if we as a family, husband and wife, church body, etc, refuse to resolve disagreements, arguments, misunderstandings and hold on to them refusing to bring resolution then this will result in division. The family will be broken apart in to pieces and separated from one other and as a result will fall apart.

Satan can easily blind us by causing division in our family and we can feel proud believing that we are the one who is right, and the other person is wrong. The issue is not who is right or wrong, the issue is that someone needs to be the peace maker and work toward unity and if not then the word of God is true and the family will fall apart and Satan wins. Therefore, it is important to heed to the word of God and not allow a prolonged amount of conflict in our families, we need to come in to agreement to avoid Satan tearing us down.

Janina Cuellar
    Participant

Lesson #7 Mark   jc

<span class=”topsum”><span class=”btext”><span class=”font2″>The Gospel of Mark is to show that the Lord Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God who was sent to suffer and to serve in order to rescue and restore mankind. </span></span></span>
    <span class=”topsum”><span class=”btext”><span class=”font2″>Mark is thought to be written between 50 and 55 A.D. for Roman Christians. The Gospels are intended for the Church as a whole, but since Mark used Roman words in place of Greek from an Aramaic translation, it is believed Christians in Rome were the main audience for his work. </span></span></span>
    <span class=”topsum”><span class=”btext”><span class=”font2″>He takes a special direction of introducing Jesus as the one with a mission of love and the power to change the world. While other gospels document more parables, Mark shares 21 miracles, 2 of which are unique to his account. </span></span></span>

Jesus healing a deaf man is one of the two unique miracles only documented in the book of Mark. My favorite part of this story is how Jesus led the deaf man away from the crowd to a quiet place. How beneficial would it be in your life if you came away from the noise of familiarity and limitation and got connected with faith? Jesus healing a blind man is the second unique miracle to the book of Mark. Note how both of these miracles run with Mark’s theme of faith and mercy. Jesus demonstrating for the disciples that there are certain demons that must only be cast out by faith. Specifically, by “fasting and prayer.

Michelle Chow
    Participant

The purpose of the Gospel of Mark is to show that The Lord Jesus is The Messiah, The Son of God Who was sent to suffer and to serve in order to rescue and restore mankind. Many times Jesus exercises actions rather than words. Mark portray Jesus as a man of power and miracles, who could set aside the laws of nature at will. Yet this powerful Son of God was the suffering servant Who would give up His life as a ransom for all mankind. The clear purpose of Mark was to encourage those suffering persecution that their Master suffered first and He suffered for them, for us, that we too would do the same.  We are to minister as He did, with the same greatness of humility and devotion to the service of others. Jesus exhorted us to remember that to be great in God’s kingdom, we must be the servant of all. Self sacrifice should transcend our need for recognition or reward, just as Jesus was willing to lay down His life for the sheep.

Richard Vara
    Participant

Mark 6:23 (NLT) He even vowed, “I will give you whatever you ask, up to half my kingdom!”

King Herod Anitpas made a vow based on his emotion at this time. His daughter just did a performance that impressed him so much that he made this vow. Little did he know that she would ask her mother what her wish shall be. Herodias, king Herod’s wife and ex-sister-in-law told her daughter to ask for John the Baptists’ head. She had it out for John because he said it like it was. It bothered King Herod, but he still like to listen to John.

Mark 6:20 (NLT) for Herod respected John; and knowing that he was a good and holy man, he protected him. Herod was greatly disturbed whenever he talked with John, but even so, he liked to listen to him.

Sometimes we don’t like to hear the truth, but if it’s the truth, it can be a way to address issues that we may not see from another’s perspective. I recently asked one of the leaders at church, in a personal conversation, to hold me accountable for my actions, behaviors, conversations especially because I’m new in my faith and serving in ministry. Sometimes we need to be told like it is with facts, but in a way that helps build a person up and not tear them down. These conversations need to be strategic and thoughtful and not just babble on with opinions. King Herod had to keep his vow and so John was beheaded. Just as the teaching we’ve been studying at church, slow to speak:

James 1:19 (NLT) Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.

Brian Fondanova
    Participant

Mark sets forth the credentials of Jesus, the son of God.  In pithy statements and brief paragraphs.  Mark captures the ministry of Jesus but focuses more on what Jesus does than what he says.  The theme of Marks gospel is that Jesus service and sacrifice provide the pattern of living for His followers.  What it is to be a servant and all the responsibilities that come along with it are demonstrated in this book.  The miracles that take place in this book are amazing and remind me how powerful a God we serve.

Angelita Madrigal
    Participant

this lesson is based on the book of Mark. Mark is the shortest chapter of the four gospels. Mark waist no time in introducing Jesus and the miracles he does. He gets right to the point. He begins with Jesus being in Galilee preaching the gospel. Through out these chapters they show the work of Jesus and the miracles that he did. Which more and more people started to become believers. Jesus selected four of the twelve disciples. As Jesus was teaching and healing and blessing those that believed, things started to change and Jesus knew that is would soon be time to do what he has came for.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Leadership University 2021