LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 103 Forum Week 6 – Matthew

Week 6 – Matthew

Back to course
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Richard Vara
    Participant

Matthew 5:13 (NLT) “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.”
    Jesus is giving “The Sermon on The Mount” with His disciples gathered around as well as a crowd of people.
    Salt is used as flavor; it brings out the best tastes in food – we are to bring out the best in people. Don’t be bland or have no taste. People like flavor, be the flavor people crave, or be the example people can see and want. Be the example God has given us, His Son Jesus.
    Salt is also used for preservation of meat by creating an environment not suitable for bacteria, it kills bacteria. Synonyms for preserve: conserve, protect, maintain, care for, take care of, look after, save, safeguard, keep. We are the “the salt of the earth”; we are used to preserve humanity; to shed light on humanity in a time of darkness, or even in our families. Let our saltiness preserve the relationships around us. Let’s make this personal, Jesus is referring to me as the salt, I am valued when I have flavor (unlike flavorless salt), when I’m on fire, when I have the desire to please the Lord is when I begin to impact others around me to bring God glory.

Kathy Vara
    Participant

In the book of Matthew, God used angel’s and dreams to speak to Joseph so that God’s purpose of Jesus Christ the Savior of the world being born would be fulfilled. This shows how powerful and fully in control God is and that his purpose and will, will always be done by his divinity. It is the same today, God has the power to communicate and give instructions to his people in any form he chooses to, whether it is through speaking through a person, speaking through a dream or vision, through his word, the Holy Spirit, etc. Many times, we may miss things God is doing because we don’t see everything as God does. But God, is all knowing, all powerful, and he is working all things out according to his will and purpose.

Maricela Lopez
    Participant

Matthew is the first book of the New Testament and it is my favorite gospel account mainly for all the teachings of Jesus and in the way he taught them with parables. It was written primarly for the Jews and Matthew attempted to bridge the Old Testament with the New Testament in that the Messiah that they were waiting for had come and His name was Jesus. Matthew has the most references of the Old Testament and shows that King Jesus fulfilled them and that is probably why he starts with Jesus’ kingly lineage of David. Jesus states He didn’t come abolish the law but to fulfill it that now His blood has bought us a new covenant that In Him we can stand righteous.

Sandra Lilly
    Participant
    1. MATTHEW IS THE FIRST  BOOK OF THE NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE. IT IS A COMPLETE AND MOST ACCURATE ACCOUNT OF WHAT JESUS, THE SON OF GOD, THE MESSIAH, AND OUR SAVIOR TAUGHT WHILE HE WAS ON EARTH WITH US.
    2. MATTHEW WROTE ABOUT JESUS BEGINNING. HIS BIRTH, BAPTISM, THE SELECTING OF HIS DISCIPLES, TO THE TEACHING OF THE MULTITUDE IN PARABLES.  MATTHEW ALSO WROTE ABOUT THE MIRACLES, CRUCIFIXION, AND TO JESUS  MIRACULOUS RESURRECTION.
    3. MATTHEW ALSO DOCUMENTED THE LAST WORDS OF CHRIST JESUS OUR SAVIOR, ” AND SURELY I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, TO THE VERY END OF THE AGE”  MATTHEW 28:20

Sandra Lilly
    Participant
    1. MATTHEW IS THE FIRST  BOOK OF THE NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE. IT IS A COMPLETE AND MOST ACCURATE ACCOUNT OF WHAT JESUS, THE SON OF GOD, THE MESSIAH, AND OUR SAVIOR TAUGHT WHILE HE WAS ON EARTH WITH US.
    2. MATTHEW WROTE ABOUT JESUS BEGINNING. HIS BIRTH, BAPTISM, THE SELECTING OF HIS DISCIPLES, TO THE TEACHING OF THE MULTITUDE IN PARABLES.  MATTHEW ALSO WROTE ABOUT THE MIRACLES, CRUCIFIXION, AND TO JESUS  MIRACULOUS RESURRECTION.
    3. MATTHEW ALSO DOCUMENTED THE LAST WORDS OF CHRIST JESUS OUR SAVIOR, ” AND SURELY I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, TO THE VERY END OF THE AGE”  MATTHEW 28:20

<p style=”font-family: sf-arial !important;”></p>

Lewis Madrid
    Participant

MATTHEW main message is that jesusis the messiah that the jews had long waited . Matthew presented evidence reconciling the old testament prophecies with the life of Jesus demonstrating that Jesus was the messiah .

Daniel Logan
    Participant

I in matthew what ever we are doing for  Jesus we have to put him first if we are called  to evangelize we need to make sur its him if not we will mess things up

Katrina Dillow
    Participant

I like wendys summary of the Matthew because that is how I think of Matthew when I read the book of Matthew.

Sarah Polangco
    Participant

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Matthew is the first book in the New Testament. He demonstrated his faith by leaving his life behind him as a tax collector to follow Jesus Christ also known as the Messiah. In doing so he became one of Jesus’ 12 disciples. In the book of Matthew you will see how Matthew was able to document in a unique way the deity of Jesus. From the genealogy and birth of Jesus. To the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.</span></p>

Aurelia Alderson
    Participant

The book of Matthew is an official account of Jesus of Nazareth; His life, His death and His resurrection. This book was brought together by Matthew who took what the Apostles were teaching from their eyewitness accounts about Jesus, along with His teachings that they all had memorized. Matthew has then collected and designed this book to highlight certain themes about Jesus. He wants to show how Jesus is the continuation and fulfillment of the whole biblical story about God in Israel. And how Jesus is the Messiah from the line of David; that He is a new authoritative teacher like Moses; and that Jesus is Emmanuel. Matthew starts the book with the genealogy of Jesus, and how He is from the line of David, and He is the son of Abraham. Jesus is the new authoritative, covenant teacher who´s going to fulfill the storyline of the Torah. And so throughout this journey some accepted Jesus, some were neutral about Him, and some, such as Israel´s religious leaders, the Pharisees rejected Him and believed Him to be the blaspheming God. But these divers responses did not come as a surprise to Jesus, instead He focused on them. God´s kingdom is of ultimate value and it will not stop spreading despite all of these obstacles. So Jesus begins teaching about this upside-down nature of His kingdom, which turns all of our values, upside-down. Meaning that in the community of the servant King, you gain honor by serving others and instead of revenge, you forgive and do good to your enemies. And in Jesus´ kingdom you gain true wealth by giving your wealth to the poor. In all these teaching the book of Matthew shows us the promise and fulfillment of Jesus´ nature.

Angelie Mangubat
    Participant

While reading the book of Matthew, which we learned to be the most Jewish-centric of the four gospels, I could not help but to mourn a bit for the Jewish people who rejected Jesus as the Messiah. Prophecies revealed that the Messiah to come would be persecuted and killed, not realizing that their rejection of him would greatly contribute to that.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Leadership University 2021