LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 103 Forum WEEK 7 – Mark Reply To: WEEK 7 – Mark

Reply To: WEEK 7 – Mark

Back to course

LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 103 Forum WEEK 7 – Mark Reply To: WEEK 7 – Mark

Richard Vara
Participant

Mark 6:23 (NLT) He even vowed, “I will give you whatever you ask, up to half my kingdom!”

King Herod Anitpas made a vow based on his emotion at this time. His daughter just did a performance that impressed him so much that he made this vow. Little did he know that she would ask her mother what her wish shall be. Herodias, king Herod’s wife and ex-sister-in-law told her daughter to ask for John the Baptists’ head. She had it out for John because he said it like it was. It bothered King Herod, but he still like to listen to John.

Mark 6:20 (NLT) for Herod respected John; and knowing that he was a good and holy man, he protected him. Herod was greatly disturbed whenever he talked with John, but even so, he liked to listen to him.

Sometimes we don’t like to hear the truth, but if it’s the truth, it can be a way to address issues that we may not see from another’s perspective. I recently asked one of the leaders at church, in a personal conversation, to hold me accountable for my actions, behaviors, conversations especially because I’m new in my faith and serving in ministry. Sometimes we need to be told like it is with facts, but in a way that helps build a person up and not tear them down. These conversations need to be strategic and thoughtful and not just babble on with opinions. King Herod had to keep his vow and so John was beheaded. Just as the teaching we’ve been studying at church, slow to speak:

James 1:19 (NLT) Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.

Leadership University 2021