LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 101 Forum DEUTERONOMY: Obedience, To Go, please!

DEUTERONOMY: Obedience, To Go, please!

Back to course
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Timothea Galoner
    Participant

With Jesus, it was “back to the basics” for the Israelis of His day, so He quoted Deuteronomy frequently. Also, He used it as an in-your-face quotation to satan who was trying to manipulate Jesus to agree with his lying ways. The Basic Fact was that Israel was to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.” The first generation, obviously, had a tough time doing this. The second generation, through the grace and mercy of God, were able to see and live out the truth in this verse. This Book is a testimony of Transition – to a new generation, a new possession, a new experience, and a new revelation of God’s love. The Word talks about not just His love for the new generation, but for the old as well, “And because He loved your fathers. . .” If they had only obeyed! Things would have been so different. The Basic Truth was that because He is faithful, He kept His promise and brought them out that He might bring them in to the Promised Land. He showed them His power, grace and faithfulness and still does by delivering us out of the bondage of sin into Life in Jesus. I absolutely love the Basic Requirement set forth in the scriptures, “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today, FOR YOUR GOOD?” (Deut 10: 12-13, emphasis mine).  I am reminded that what God requires of His people (me) is for their own good.  Deuteronomy means, Second Law.  Not because there was actually a second law, but because, just as Jesus spoke the Word to satan, “It is written. . .” (Mat 4:4), it bore repeating for emphasis (there’s power in them words!) so the new generation would not forget what the old generation had abandoned all too quickly:  obedience to God is the most important thing you can ever do in your life.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Leadership University 2021