LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 102 Forum All The Names and Numbers Point to Christ

All The Names and Numbers Point to Christ

Back to course
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Timothea Galoner
    Participant
    • Statistics, while important, are hard for most of our brains to absorb.  I & II Chronicles are replete with numbers and names – chapter after chapter, but to a single purpose that has eternal consequences:  the Davidic lineage establishes and prophecies the lineage of Jesus Christ our Lord.  This is why these two books are focused on the Temple (House) of the Lord.  Because David had “blood on his hands” he could not build the Temple, but was allowed to prepare the plans and materials for Solomon, David’s son, who would build the Temple for the Lord.  While Solomon did build the Temple, the promises he could have experienced throughout his life were cut short from his sins of getting involved with foreign concubines and idol worship.
    • An interesting study I did on my own was on the word “Remnant.”  This word is found throughout the Old and New Testament, four different variances expressed hundreds of times.  God always leaves a “Remnant.” Elijah was told by the Lord not to worry when he said that he was the only one left in all of Israel and God responded that he had left a “Remnant” of 7,000 who had not knelt to Baal which represents a tithe (or a tenth) of the nation Israel.  “Remnant,” in the Biblical sense, is describe in the Anchor Bible Dictionary as “What is left of a community after it undergoes a catastrophe.”  So, you see, when they talk about the “Remnant” in I & II Chronicles, it is God’s Grace over a very stiff-necked people (noticeably, Solomon who was “the wisest man who ever lived” lost the blessing of a long life because he lost his ability to discern once he violated God’s laws and decrees).
    • If you are going to have a proper lineage, you need a Chronicle.  Hence, the reason Holy Spirit included I & II Chronicles and in order to complete that lineage, God will always leave a “Remnant,” that His Word might be fulfilled.  The difficult lessons that we see throughout the history of the Israelite people continues its saga in the two books, but so does the promises of God:  “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” (2 Chron 7:14)  Interestingly enough, He said this to Solomon and went on to say, “And as for thee, IF thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, and do according to all that I have commanded thee, and shalt observe my statutes and my judgements; THEN will I stablish the throne of they kingdom, according as I have covenanted with David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man to be ruler in Israel.” (2 Chron 7:17-18 KJV, emphasis mine) Solomon did fail, but God still was faithful to the Davidic lineage leading to Christ.  He always keeps His promises.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Leadership University 2021