LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 103 Forum WEEK 4 Minor Prophets Pt 1 (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah) Reply To: WEEK 4 Minor Prophets Pt 1 (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah)

Reply To: WEEK 4 Minor Prophets Pt 1 (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah)

Back to course

LU Home Page Forums Biblical Studies 103 Forum WEEK 4 Minor Prophets Pt 1 (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah) Reply To: WEEK 4 Minor Prophets Pt 1 (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah)

Victor Usher
Participant

– Hosea

Hands down, finishing up this book was really an eye-opening read today. The scripture at the end of the book, “Who is wise? Let him understand these things. Who is prudent? Let him know them. For the ways of the Lord are right; The righteous walk in them, But transgressors stumble in them.

Hosea 14:9 NKJV” hit me in a way that I had to mirror this on my own life. Am I righteous, or am I a transgressor simply because I stumble. Deep thinking, justification, and such. Before this, I don’t think I ever considered reading the book of Hosea. To be honest, it was like one of those books you pass over and only reference it in remembrance based on how grimey the story was. I say that now, and feel like I do that with other books in the bible. Anyway, that’s another story. Moving on, the Lord told Hosea to take a woman of harlotry.

I found this scripture interesting, “Yet the number of the children of Israel Shall be as the sand of the sea, Which cannot be measured or numbered. And it shall come to pass In the place where it was said to them, ‘You are not My people,’ There it shall be said to them, ‘You are sons of the living God.’

Hosea 1:10 NKJV. God said, “The number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea!” That’s big! Chapter 2 was a heavy read. From 2:1-13 (Gods unfaithful people, and the charges) I was shocked as I was reading this at work. A different side of God was what I saw and perceived. Hosea 9:1 NKJV caught my attention in a way of how God wants his people to worship him. Overall Israels heart was divided. To keep it a hundred, I think I needed to read this book man. End quote.

– Joel

Joel 1:2‭-‬3 NKJV caught my attention as whatever the Lord has done in the past, be sure to tell the next generation about it. In Joel 1:6 the reading was about a fierce Lion. I’m assuming that’s Satan.

Joel 1:12 stated how “…joy had withered away from the sons of men.” With a lot of stuff that goes on while pursuing God on this walk, this verse hit me as like, your joy can go out.

In Joel 2:1-11, this area in scripture is titled “The day of the lord,” and these verses specifically grabs my attention in a way that this is something to look forward to.” “…For the day of the Lord is great and very terrible, Joel 2:1.” That’s, awestructurous! I don’t know if that’s even a word, but man, this whole section catches my attention. Joel 2:12-17 speaks about how it’s a call to repentance and just come as you are and respect the Lords authority. In later verse, it speaks about how God will restore everything, and then pour his spirit out.

For as the day of the lord is near, and as he expresses himself, he will also put a shelter around his people. In the end the lord will bless his people.

– Amos

Amos 2:6‭-‬7 NKJV captured my attention as it reminded me of a past life when also, things like this  are still going on to this day. In Amos 2:16 it states that, ” The most courageous men of might Shall flee naked in that day,” Says the Lord.” It’s like, no one is safe from Gods judgement. I heard the scripture Amos 3:2 NKJV on a music album titled, “DAMN,” once, and when I read it today, it brought back a remembrance.  In Amos 3:6 NKJV it speaks about a trumpet blowing and also the calamities that happen. I think about how everything that happens in this world, God allows and or knows of it. Reading Amos 3:7 I reflected on the what ifs if God informed me of anything yet to come. I think even if he has or will consider me for knowing something ahead of time, he knows I’ll b ready to hear it. In Amos 3:12 NKJV he talks about the Lion again. Again, I’m assuming that’s Satan. From 4:6-13 Israel did not accept correction. An inspiring verse I liked was Amos 4:12-13 NKJV, “Therefore thus will I do to you, O Israel; Because I will do this to you, Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!” For behold, He who forms mountains, And creates the wind, Who declares to man what his thought is, And makes the morning darkness, Who treads the high places of the earth— The Lord God of hosts is His name.”

I like what was stated in the book of Amos that, “The day of the lord is like fleeing from a lion and instead being met by a bear.” I also noticed how the children of Israel rebelled against the Lord and he rose up a nation to come against them. Overall, Amos 8 has a strong and deep vision of what was to come.

– Obadiah

In the vision of Obadiah, the people’s pride was deceived which brought upon themselves a coming judgement. In Obadiah 1:4 it states how elevating yourself above God will bring an individual back down and as it transitions into verse 5 I look at it like, it would be better for God bringing you down than being catched by the robbers and thieves. It’s crazy how in Obadiah 1:7, it states how the men at peace with you shall deceive you and fail you. I can’t imagine a thing like that, oh wait yes I can. In Obadiah 1:15 NKJV it states, “For the day of the Lord upon all the nations is near; As you have done, it shall be done to you; Your reprisal shall return upon your own head.” I like to think that the same way you judge others, you yourself will be judged. Maybe that’s why they’re receiving judgement in the first place. But with all these shenanigans going on, there will be deliverance on Mount Zion, and Israel will triumph.

– Jonah

So this is the thing about the book of Jonah,. I didn’t know that they casted lots to determine who around them was basically the reason for the tempest at sea. Another thing is, how God’s calling on your life when he calls you, no matter if you try to run away God’s intended purpose will happen. It also caught my attention of how Jonah turned around and repented and turned to god, and was very very enthused about his position and his calling like he was determined and when he saw God moving a different way other than the way he expected it to go he became upset. It reminds me of situations in my life where I’m like, God bring havoc because of what’s happening, give it to this person/situation, and then God does the complete opposite. That caught my attention on a hot note! At the end of the book it ends with God asking Jonah a question. I’ve often heard this being used before of where people hear from God and it’s just a question and like God isn’t really asking you the question to get an answer he’s asking you the question so you could realize and answer it for yourself. First time reading the book of Jonah. Eye opener!

– Micah

In Micah chapter 3 the lord called out the wicked rulers and prophets shamefully. It’s so detailed that it’s like a diss of specifications to the attributes of these wicked people. That’s raw! In Micah 5 the coming messiah (Jesus) is mentioned. Micah 7:7, “Therefore I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me,” reminds me so much of that song by Maverick City Music, “Wait on you.” I read the verse and it reminded me of the song. Micah 2:1 reminded me of myself. That’s conviction! I read how the people are comparisons to harlots. Like, selling themselves for something else, outside of the given nature of what God intended/wants from them.

Leadership University 2021