COURSE DESCRIPTION: Biblical Studies
An overview of the Old Testament in order to equip the student to understand the contemporary relevance of Old Testament Scripture today
This course seeks to develop your understanding of the literature and theology of the Old Testament. It seeks to do this by enabling you to better:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the purpose and themes of the books of the New Testament
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major characters of the Old Testament
- Demonstrate familiarity with the chronological framework of the Old Testament
- Demonstrate an understanding of the storyline, historical background, and literary content of the Old Testament
- Gain familiarity with the content of the Old Testament
Through the Bible in One Year by Dr. Alan B. Stringfellow
Textbooks, workbooks, lab fees, etc. are a normal part of the cost of your education. Photocopies of the pages will not be accepted for credit. This constitutes a breach of copyright law and drives up the cost of textbooks. You will hand in your assignments to the instructor each week for review.
You are expected to attend each class. Class attendance ensures your learning the material in its entirety. Only one excused absence will be allowed, with a prior approval by the professor. Unexcused absences are not acceptable and will result in the loss of points for that class period.
Late work will only be accepted under special circumstances and only with prior approval from the professor (see guidelines for absences). If late work is allowed, a late penalty of 10% will be applied for each day late.
Leadership University upholds the highest of standards when it comes to development of classwork or an assignment. All work should be your own. Plagiarism is unacceptable and will result in an immediate failure of the course.
- If you did not write the words, they do not belong in your paper. You cannot COPY AND PASTE anything from a book, the internet or any other source and put it in your paper.
- Do NOT include direct quotes unless the quote is cited properly and gives the author credit. Describe the material in your own words. Do not use words you do not understand.
3. You are free to consult with classmates about assignments, but
please ensure that your work is your own. If your work looks too much like your classmates, plagiarism rules may be enforced.
Classes will be conducted in a combination lecture-discussion format. Students should be prepared to comment on the subject matter scheduled for each particular class period. Students are required to complete reading assignments on time and be prepared for class discussions and activities.
An Overview of the Course Assignments:
Assignments are listed on the syllabus for readings from the textbooks.
C. Mid-term Exam
Objective exam over selected information from the textbook. The mid-term exam will be open book.
D. Final Exam
Objective exam over selected information from the textbook. This will be comprehensive and cover material from the whole semester.
Beyond the course objectives that will be measured through the various learning activities connected to this course, there are a number of outcomes that you can expect to achieve having successfully completed this course that are less measurable:
- You will have read through sections of the Old Testament
- You will gain a fresh understanding of the significance of the Old Testament as Scripture
- You will be able to understand the nature of biblical authority relative to the various genres of the Old Testament
- You will be able to recognize the importance of understanding the biblical worldview as a basis for interpretation
Pastor David M. Chandler Sr.
Pastor Email: Pastordave@twwo.org
Office Hours: By email request
|Qtr 2: Section 1: Introduction|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #1 – I & II Kings Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #2 – I & II Chronicles Details||00:00:00|
|Biblical Studies Qtr:2 Lesson 2 –I&II Chronicles Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #3 Ezra & Nehemiah Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 3 -Ezra and Nehemiah Course Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #4 Esther Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 4 – Esther Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #5 Job Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 5 – Job Course Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #6 Psalms Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 6 – Job & Psalms Course Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #7 Proverbs, Ecclesiastes & Song of Solomon Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 7 – Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon Course Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #8 Isaiah Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 8 – Isaiah Course Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #9 Jeremiah & Lamentations Details||00:00:00|
|Qtr:2 Lesson 9 – Jeremiah and Lamentations Course Quiz||Unlimited|
|Qtr 2: Lesson #10 Ezekiel Details||00:00:00|
|Biblical Studies Qtr:2 Lesson 10 Ezekiel Course Quiz||Unlimited|